Plant of the Month November: Hellebores
Hellebores give us an array of much-needed colour and beautiful flowers at a time when our gardens are starting to look a little drab and in need of an injection of interest!
Some varieties start to flower as early as October/November and will withstand severe cold and snow to delight us through the year’s darkest days. Others bloom in late winter and continue flowering well into spring, alongside the daffodils and tulips to welcome warmer days.
They belong to the genus Helleborus and are a hardy, low-maintenance perennial that everyone should have in their garden. Popular due to the unusual time they flower, they have an upright habit, with some varieties (especially Snow and Lenten Roses) forming clumps up to one metre in diameter.
Perfect in beds, borders, baskets, and pots, they are ideal for adding a little interest and colour to balconies as well as gardens during the autumn/winter months.
- Our Hellebores are the Gold Collection®
- They come in burgundy pots because they are the prestigious Helleborus Gold Collection®
- We are proud to be the only approved UK partner with Heuger, Germany.
- They are fully hardy perennials.
- They flower from October to February, depending on the variety.
- Their foliage is evergreen.
- They like pretty much any well-drained soil.
- They are low maintenance.
- They attract wildlife to your garden.
You can learn more about our Plant of the Month November: Hellebores in our A Focus on Hellebores blog (coming soon) including frequently asked questions.