Plant of the Month October: Heuchera
Heuchera is the perfect all-year-round plant and our plant of the month for October. With its variety of vibrant leaf colours, it provides good ground coverage and retains its leaves throughout the year. Tiny flowers appear in the summer adding an additional bonus to the garden.
Heuchera plants are very hardy, which means you can plant them at any time of the year – even in the middle of winter!
They only need a moderate amount of sunlight for their fabulous leaf colours to develop properly. However light green, yellow, and silver Heuchera may get scorched in the summer sun, so are better suited to partial shade.
They are well suited to beds and borders as well as baskets or pots.
- They are fully hardy perennials.
- They flower through July and August.
- Their foliage is evergreen.
- They like pretty much any well-drained soil.
- They are easy to care for.
- They suit a variety of garden styles including cottage, coastal, Mediterranean, sensory, and urban.
- The Heuchera is also known as Coral Bells.
You can learn more about our Plant of the Month October: Heuchera in our A Focus on Heuchera including frequently asked questions.